University students seek govt job quota system reform

Online Report

Students of different universities and colleges today staged demonstrations at their respective institutions demanding reformation of existing quota system in BCS (Bangladesh Civil Service) and other government recruitment process.

Witnesses said a group of nearly 1,000 students from different universities and colleges, mostly Dhaka University, started their sit-in proghramme in front of Shahbagh’s Central Public Library around 11:00am.

Students of Chittagong University form a human chain in front of CU Central Shaheed Minar premises on February 25, 2018, to press home their five-point demand over government job quota system reform. Photo: Abdullah Abbas

In Chittagong, around 300 students of different departments of Chittagong University formed a human chain in front of CU Central Shaheed Minar premises to press home their five-point demand.

Currently, only 44 percent are recruited on merit and the remaining 56 percent on privilege allocated under various quotas.