- 20ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- handful fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 525g short-grain white rice
- Pinch saffron threads, soaked in 500 ml (1 pint) water
- 1 1/4L chicken or fish stock
- 300g fresh or frozen peas
- 2 red bell peppers (capsicums), chopped
- 1kg mussels, scrubbed, de-bearded
- 500g firm white fish fillets, chopped
- 300g peeled uncooked shrimp (prawns)
- 200g scallops
- 3 calamari, cleaned, sliced
- 4 tsp chopped fresh parsley
Preheat slow cooker to a high heat level. Add the oil and the onions and stir, then add the garlic, thyme, lemon rind and tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
Add the rice and saffron mixture and warmed stock has absorbed almost all the liquid.
Stir in the peas, peppers and mussels and cook for 20 minutes. Add the fish, shrimp and scallops and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the calamari and parsley and cook for 20 minutes longer or until the seafood is cooked.